Abnormal abrasion of hard dental tissues occurs quite often. This type of pathology is not an absolute contraindication to the use of dental crowns and dentures. However, it must be preceded by appropriate orthopedic preparation of dentition. For the treatment of pathological abrasion of the teeth Prosthodontists in Rhode Island suggest two methods - medical and orthopedic.
Medical treatment involves using of fluoride toothpaste. But this method will be not effective without proper orthopedic treatment ? fixing of crowns or dentures.
The main goals of prosthetics are:
- restoration of aesthetic appearance of the teeth,
- providing of contact throughout the dentition,
- correction of malocclusion,
- prevention of periodontal overload,
- keeping normal position of the jaws.
To achieve these goals can be used as a non-removable (crowns, bridges) and removable prostheses.