If you have already decided to start orthodontic treatment and you have already thought about what type of braces to choose, in this case, this article can become useful for you. Here, the main advantages and disadvantages of plastic braces will be described. Probably, you have already thought about choosing one of the most aesthetic bracket systems, plastic braces.
Plastic (cosmetic) braces are one of the modern types of braces, which is a kind of compromise between the efficiency of the treatment of malocclusion and aesthetic appeal of the orthodontic appliance.
The correction of malocclusion with the help of braces has already been common type of treatment for a long time. However, the question of the aesthetic aspect of orthodontic treatment for most people is still an open question. Far not everyone can afford the treatment with ceramic, sapphire or lingual braces, which absolutely invisible for other people, but which are at the same time much more expensive. Meanwhile, the need for long-term wearing of metal appliance in the mouth discourages most people wanting to start the correction of the bite.
Due to the material from which they are made, plastic braces for the treatment of malocclusion can now compete with traditional metal braces, because they have a number of obvious advantages:
● Low visibility. Due to the properties of the material, plastic braces are much less noticeable on the teeth than metal ones, because the orthodontist can choose the color of braces that is the most suitable for the natural color of your teeth.
● The attractiveness for children. Kids can choose any color of braces. It leads to the fact that it is easy to persuade children to wear colored plastic braces, causing less discomfort. Often colored braces are perceived as a decoration, but not as a medical appliance.
● Low cost of treatment. Due to the material from which they are made, plastic braces can be relatively cheap. They are a little more expensive than metal, but much cheaper than ceramic, sapphire and lingual braces.
Plastic braces, like any other braces, also have some disadvantages:
● Low strength. Plastic can easily be broken by external mechanical action, and patients need to be prepared for the periodic special visits to the orthodontist for replacing of a broken bracket. In some cases, the problem can be solved by building more durable special plastic material, which will slightly increase the price of the appliance.
● High color grade. Plastic is highly susceptible to the influence of various dyes, including dyes, contained in the food. Therefore, patients who choose plastic braces have to be ready to limit themselves in using some of the products such as: coffee, strong tea, some carbonated drinks, fruits, berries, etc. High sensitivity to food dyes often imposes additional restrictions on food during the treatment of malocclusion. However, if the person does not abuse these foods and do not smoke, then this disadvantage of plastic braces will not bother them. However, even with careful diet during treatment, plastic braces will inevitably lose their original color and become less attractive.
In this case, plastic cosmetic braces can be regarded as aesthetically more attractive option than metal braces, and at the same time are cheaper than ceramic or sapphire braces.
The efficacy and duration of treatment of malocclusion using plastic braces are the same as in the case of using other vestibular braces. The only difference between these braces is the aesthetic wishes of the patient and his financial capacity.